Friday, November 5, 2010

Talent


The tortilla soup smelled great as Amanda turned off the stove and scooped some into the blender. She hadn’t used the blender very much and was excited to do so again.

Hold the lid, press the button…

Whrr-SPLAT!

She gasped as hot soup flew everywhere, but she somehow managed to keep the lid on and turn the blender off. It grew quiet as she stood there for a minute in disbelief, the soup dripping off the counter onto the floor.

What the heck?? How’d that happen? She opened it and looked at the soup, then replaced the lid. Maybe I just need to hold the lid tighter. She pressed the pulse button so it would only run for a split second when she pressed the puree button again.

Whrr-SPLAT!

“Ow!!” Amanda pranced around the kitchen before turning the cold water on full blast to rinse the hot soup off her wrist. As it took the sting away, she surveyed the mess. Soup on the sink. And on the clean dishes. And the counter, cabinets, rug…and herself. A red mark was beginning to show where the soup had almost burned her.

“Wow. That takes talent.” She shook her head. Apparently the hot air built up enough pressure in the blender that it forced the lid open when turned on.

I swear I’ve made more messes in my own kitchen than I did in all the years with Mom and Dad. This mess topped them all, though. A dropped spoon that slung melted chocolate all over the rug. Twice dropping eggs on the floor. Spilled water on the floor from sneezing while walking with an open pitcher. And an over-full quiche that spilled egg mess three times before Amanda managed to get it in the oven. The list went on and she had a feeling it wasn’t going to end with this bigger mess.

She swiped some soup off the side of the blender and licked her finger. Oh well. At least it still tastes good. She grinned. Besides, isn’t it true that a messy cook makes a good cook?


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE new bride cooking stories!! I caught a toaster oven on fire - flames up the wall and cabinate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Lol! I think I'd better avoid that one...thinking flames going up the wall in a 5th-wheel would be VERY bad.

    I still have to clean up part of the mess from this. I thought I got it all till the next morning and saw it had slung some soup up on the cabinets on the other side. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Amanda. Just get a good laugh from it & get back on the horse. Last week I dropped an egg on the floor, thought I could handle two eggs in one hand - not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!! Thanks for the giggle, Honey!!
    ROFL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete